Thursday, August 24, 2006

Canadian Collaborative Project on Genetic Susceptibility in Multiple Sclerosis (CCPGSMS)

I've been invited by Dr. Mandat Maharaj, on behalf of the Dalhousie Multiple Sclerosis Research Unit, to participate in a research study on the above title. Apparently I have been "assessed as being eligible" for the study and it is inclusive of 15 clinics nation wide. The idea behind the study is to "ascertain more clearly the specific genes involved in MS, as well as any environmental factors which may play a role." I guess in order to find a cure we have to find a cause. I don't see why I wouldn't participate. It's my future we're talking about here.

Now maybe it's just bias, as I have a vested interest, but it seems to me that scientists who study the mating habits of endangered fruit flies of the Amazon are a waste of a scientific brain. This venture seems to me totally worth while. And while they may ask for multiple blood samples and god knows what else, I just can't say no to good research that may help me and people like me. As Canada has one of the highest rates of MS in the world, if not the highest, we should naturally be one of the leaders in the fight for a cure. At least that's how I see it.

So now I just have to wait for this Alberta Schaap or Cindy McCarron to call me. I hope they do soon because in two days I'll be living in Montreal. :)

So I guess the next step is to find out who my fathers real family is so I can give them all the required information. I never thought I'd have to do that. And I have to, because it's good research, and I don't mind tearing though a few layers of emotional pain and discomfort to find a cure one day. If my suffering will prevent someone's pain in the future then so be it, eh? This is essentially it: my (birth) father is an asshole--he was adopted--don't know him, or his real family, know that one of his blood brothers lives in North Sydney, and another lives in Donkin. That's the best place to start. oooo... I feel like a detective... Just like law & order. hehehe. The difficult part is that I'm going to have to do all of this from Montreal--in my spare time, which is going to be almost nil.

And that's that, I guess.

4 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Frozen Molasses said...

"...it seems to me that scientists who study the mating habits of endangered fruit flies of the Amazon are a waste of a scientific brain."

Actually, we owe much of what we know about modern genetics to people that spent their lives studying just this sort of thing (fruit flies in particular in fact!). So, as silly as it may seem to pay some dude to count peas all day or watch flies screw, this study comes to you, in part, courtesy of a humble fruit fly near you.

Great to hear that you get to be a part of this!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to agree with you that Canada should be a leader in MS research given the number of Canadians living with the desease, and I'm hoping that this study is only the first step in finding a cure or a cause or more and better treatments for those afflicted.

It's great that you're going to be involved, and I love your passion and deturmination in participating. It says a lot about you that your willing to re-hash the past (some of which I know is painful for you) in order to help out. I'm hoping this will be a wonderul and worthwhile experience for you.

xoxoxoxoxo

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Iain Dughlais said...

Sheena:
Owe it, eh? Well sure. But it's been done. :) Good to see you're alive. New that would get your attention. :p

Thanks Ash.

Miss you to Shama. :)

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

I think it is great that you are going to participate in this study! I would love to be more involved than I already am. Good luck to you and take care of yourself. Travel safe during your move!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home