Tuesday, August 15, 2006


Big day today. A lot happend. The morning was another up too early thanks to me going to bed too late last night and forgetting to put my keys on the key rack which promts my up too early for work dad to wake me way to early to look for them. I wish I'd just remember to do that when I'm out late.

So I had an appointment with a "new" neurologist today; well he was the one that seen me the first time, 5 years ago, and couldn't find anything wrong with me. It was just my one year checkup to see how far my MS is progressing. The news is all good. My eyesight with my glasses on is 20/20 in my right eye, 20/25 in my left 'blind' eye which has about 80-85% of its vision back. All my reflexes were good, my gait is good, minimal problems with bladder and bowel, spasticity is 'ok' and there were only a few problems with my left side which is a little sluggish to respond to commands. All and all a successful visit.

As it turns out, Dr. Maharaj is also an actor/director and did a lot of work in the Carabien, so we had some good conversation about theatre during the check up. Interesting man, and I didn't hold it against when he couldn't find anything wrong with me because he threw the book at me as far as check lists go: I'm getting my cholestoral checked and my vitaman D level, I still can't remember why. And I got a prescription for Vitamen D supplaments. Merm... whatever. I'll take 'em I guess. He said to take them with tums. I guess they are hard on the tummy.

When I got to Judo tonight I was feeling pretty good and I over did it, just a bit. Yeah. Tonight was the closest I've come to throwing up from a work out in my life. I'm gonna be sore in the morning. But I've been feeling so down about not being able to run 5 miles anymore, I just want to know I can still be in shape and still fight my best if I so choose. I guess I'll have to suffer through some painful workouts until my body can handle it.

I'm leaving in 12 days for Montreal. I still have to get a referral to a GP up there so I can get in touch with a neuro doc and a clinic--of which Montreal has some of the best in Canada--and then sent the info to here so they can send my files up to Montreal. Nothing like supplanting my entire medical team in only a couple weeks. Yay. lol

It was funny giving my medical history to Maharaj. He asked about my first attack. I told him all about it. Then he asked if I had seen a neurologist. I said Yes. He said here? I said yes. He said who did you see? I said -- YOU. hahaha. He said... w.w wah.. I didn't find anything?
Did I send you for an MRI
we didn't have one here then
so you would have had to go to Halifax for that then
oh, so don't be too hard on me about not finding anything then
*I laugh--politely*

And that's pretty much how that went. I always get so nervious when I go to those and they are examining you and talking to the nuse telling her what they want done in forign medical language that sounds like military talk. I get the shakes when anyone looks into my eyes with lights like that and he spent a lot of time there, like he found something wrong. It always freaks me out. But he liked what he saw and I was out of there in 30 min. Met a real nice lady in the waiting area too. She told me she had an optic neuritis in both her eyes and was partially crippled with her right leg and could hardly walk--a scary glimpse into the future. I felt so bad for her--such a rare thing to have both eyes out. And she seemed really worried about it not coming back. God, what a shit disease. I can still do Judo though (Brown belt--oh yeah) and I'm going to acting school. Life ain't over yet, man. Life ain't over.


At 9:45 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

I love you so much hun! I'm glad your appointment went well. My roomate would love to talk to you about your medical-ease experiences (the medical talk) cause that's part of what she studies. I'm glad the doc was thorough (this time) and you didn't get mad at him (even if maybe you wanted to). I think you're so brave and strong; you teach me the importance of seeing the positive side.

At 7:12 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Fortuantely, my current neuro found the issue after my regular team of physicians ground it out for a few years. Now, of course, they are quite responsive to me and I only see the Neuro once a year or so. Family physician, eye doctor, neuro, visiting nurse ... sheesh. So many of them. I have a hard time thinking that they can keep my history straight.

At 8:23 AM, Blogger ash said...

You know that I'm happy for you that everything checked out alright. And I'm glad that you had a better experience this time around with this doctor, and I hope you're feeling better this morning after your heavy workout last night. But once again, please take care of yourself, and don't overdo anything. Thinking about you.

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jaime said...

That is the attitude to have! :) Life is NOT over...there is still so much we can do. Do all you can to stay positive...very important! I am glad all went well for you at the doctors. Good luck on your move and take care.



Post a Comment

<< Home