Saturday, April 15, 2006

update on me

Ok. Condition yellow. That means improvement. Next step is green.

Exercise: Able to walk up to a mile. Going to go for mile and a half today.
Diet: Slowly changing over to the more healthy lifestyle.
Sleep: Learing to get more, still using drugs to help.
Drugs: Rebif (3 a week), Celexa (10mg nightly), Adivan (.5mg x 2 /day-1-2mg at night), Ibprophen (when needed)

Dr. Christians gave me an actual prescription for REST. He gave me a list of things I'm not allowed to do for 3 months on his prescription sheet. Studying was one of them.

He said that I haven't had a break in a full year. Always something coming up and that I need a few months to heal. He was right too. I didn't realize it. But every month for the last year has had a new medical/personal/social crisis. And all my symptoms now are from exhaustion. No wonder I was so depressed and losing my mind.

My deepest and sincearest thank yous to those of you who seen what was happening in the last year and stuck it out with me. I think you are all breaver than me. Mom and dad, Shauna, Nicole, Frank. The only people who would never leave my side. You define what love is to me.

Now, time to rest and recover my wits.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

A script for rest ... you lucky, lucky dog!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

I can understand just where you must be! I too was there not too long ago. Just a hint....find things to keep your mind busy. For me it was just as stressful, maybe more, to have nothing to do as it was to work, go to school, take care of my son, etc. It drove me nuts for the first few months until I learned HOW to actually rest (something I am still, almost a year later, having to learn). When you have spent such a long time living your life a certain way..running at full speed ahead, it can be just as hard on your body to finally slow down. It was for me. Find a good book, figure out what you have always wanted to do and go do it, get a hobby. Do things to stimulate your mind.

As far as finding a healthier diet, I recommend fish and vegetables. I went through chemo a few years ago and my doctor told me to eat a balanced diet..it is somewhat of a cross between the south beach diet and a medeteranian diet. Lots of fish, lean white meat (always in 3-4 oz. portions), whole-grain or brown fibers (rices, breads, oatmeal, etc.), as many veggies as you like (always steamed, helps to keep in the nutrients) and limited fruit (too much can increase your insillin and glucose levels). It is amazing what this has done for me and my family. It is not somehting that makes you loose weight, as it is a maintence thing. It can help, if needed. My liver function has returned to normal (damage done from chemo) I am not diabetic (which my whole family is). My father who has had a stroke & is diabetic started eating this way, lost 35 lbs and has normal blood sugars now, lowered his cholesterol, and normal blood pressure. It is not a cure or anything, it is a balanced diet, that is why it helps. It give all the nutrients with the right size of portions. Size is also a big key. Also, a tip...use things like balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of butter or other more fattening things. I think part of why this works is that it allows you to eat anything you would have before. It is not really a diet, it is a way of eating. You can have red meat, just not everyday and 21oz steaks...not a good idea, get a 4oz one instead, once a month. I can email you some more detailed ideas and recipes if you are interested. Just let me know.

I hope all of this helps. Please take care of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home