Thursday, July 14, 2005

End of Steroids / Progress

Current Meds:
1. Prednisone (20mg for one week)
2. Citalopram 10mg once daily
3. Lorazepam .5mg at bedtime

Current Symptoms
Physical: none
Sensory: Optic neuritis in left eye (on the mend)
Psychological (memory/mood): none
Medication side effect?: Elevated heart rate

A few things: I've been dropping my dose of Lorazepam the last few nights. I want to wein myself off of it slowly because it is habit forming. I'd like to be taking as little meds as possible throughout my life and I seem to be managing sleep and anxeity better these days with exercises and meditation. Hopefully I can make a full adjustment and not require the use of medications at all for such things.

I'm nearing the end of my steroid run. Tomorrow is the last dose. And while there is no certainty of the steriods helping me mend my blindness faster than I would have without the treatment, I can't help wondering if I'd been better off without them. I don't seem to be recovering as fast as I'd hoped. I can see shapes now but that's nothing new. My vision is still cloudy and dull with no color in my left eye and I can't make out details like facial features or words and letters. Anyway, tomorrow I'm off the steriod treatment and left to mend on my own without the help of drugs. So we'll see what happens. :S

The reason I'm typing this now is because I'm heading to the mountains in about an hour from now and I don't know when I'll get the opportunity to type again. I'm thinking it may take my body a while to adjust to the lack of meds in my body. So I might be out another week with left over symptoms, especially up in the elevations. Being here in Calgary is elevated enough to make a difference when I run in the mornings. I was out for another short walk/run this morning. It feels good to be active again. I can't wait to get back to sea level without any meds in me. I might actually get back in shape before I get home. Lots of swimming in the pacific coming up. Lots of running too and mountain climbing and hiking. Nothing but outdoor adventure on my vacations. MS be damned. :D I just wish my vision would clear. I'd really like to enjoy the views I know are coming. I've seen so many things already and I've tried to enjoy it, but I really need my other eye back. I guess that's up to my disease. I feel a bit helpless about that but what can I do really? Patience. I'm learning this skill with difficulty. But I am learning it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home